Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thinking about moving to Tonga

I've worked out about 1% of the details.

Tommy brought home some brochures that got me thinking and dreaming of what my dream home would be there.
or check out this short video:
http://www.globalportablebuildings.com/media/EyeOnTheBay.html


Never really pictured myself as a "trailer park" kinda girl but i believe I am a "bloom where your planted" kinda girl.
I really don't think I could handle the reality of LIVING there but could handle it for like a month or two and then take it from there. Maybe a year or two... like a missionary that can call home whenever they want.

Things I have thought about:
I know they have Facebook there because I am able to chat with Tommy's cousin Kalo who lives there.
Pretty sure they don't have a Target and that would be pretty extreme for me.
where to live,
where to work,
where to school my children,
where to get all the cold hard cash to make a move like this.
WHEN would be go? next year, in two years, in five????

I hear lots of stories from people that visit or lived there. Sounds like a third world county and pretty rough but everyone that told me the stories has survived it. They are not dead. They actually have a lot of beautiful stories to offset the crazy ones. hmmmmm... I feel like I need to find out for myself. I've never been that kinda girl either~ the one that needs to do it to learn it. But for this,... it just fits.

Ideas that get me excited are:
down sizing,
living within my means,
"needing" less,
learning the other part of my "culture"
teaching my kids the other part of their culture
giving my kids a unique character building experience,
Seeing my husband where a tupenu (sp?) all the time,
trying something new,
learning something new,
unplugging from all my electronic dependencies,
finding out why my dad cries when he watched a beautiful taulunga (sp?) or while listening to someone speak his first language.
Seeing where he grew up, the land that shaped him,
praying about it, which would make it somewhat of a Real dream/hope...dare I say... goal.

Things that do not get me excited are:
bugs,
third world living,
leaving my neighborhood with all the convenient shopping,
leaving good paying jobs for the unknown,
having to learn to psychically work hard- i'm an office kinda girl,
being REALLY far away from my family,
having cultural clashes,
depending on my husband to communicate to others,
learning a different language,
postponing my dream of owning a real home
extreme change can be hard on a marriage~ it could be a good thing or a bad thing,
possibly falling in love with yet another place that is far far away from a place I REALLY LOVE,
leaving all my craft stuff,
wondering what the shipping might be on Etsy.com or Roberts.com or Shopsei.com,
did I mention that I really hate bugs and the ones that bit~ I have really Palangi skin so i get eaten alive,
the long flight over there with 3 kids.
actually praying about something like this

Ever had a dream, a thought, a whim like this?

I did once. I thought about moving to Hawaii. Didn't think I could do it happen but thought about it.
It was my Grandmas birthday and we were at the JBs on Redwood and 7800 South.
I kinda just threw it out there into the conversation. My sister Carrie started the ball rolling. She is a problem solver and just started making suggestions and throwing out things for me to think about.
Long story short:
I DID IT AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER.

so I'm just putting it out there.............
I'm Thinking About Moving To Tonga.

8 comments:

Emily said...

WOW!! Keep us updated on this... that would definitely be a HUGE change, but if it's what you're supposed to do than it will turn out for the better!

Caroline said...

Wow, I would encourage anyone their adventures. Your kids are young and nothing can hold you back! But give it a lot of thought and prayer.

Once, when I was MUCH younger I wanted to make a huge break and hitchhike the world and live as a beach bum. I almost did it too, but then I asked myself, "What are you running from?" I won't tell you my personal reasons but I am sure you have yours. Make sure you are not running away from something you don't want and only running toward something you truly desire.
Good luck in your decision making. I would love to chat more with you if you would like. Love you!!

Hapa Mama said...

Thanks Em!

Carrie~ as always you nailed it. History could repeat itself with my fight or flight choices.
I was "RUNNING" to Hawaii.

Your comment was definitely food for thought. Over the past 24 hours I have been thinking of pros and cons. Somehow I missed my pattern of wanting to run away.
After thinking about it~ half of me wants to sell everything I own and RUN FOR THE HILLS.

The other half is thinking about what you said about Running toward something I truly desire. My Patriarcal Blessing has some trippy stuff in it about that. I'll have to think some more. like I said... i have 1% of the details worked out.

Tommy read this when he checked into the hotel and called me. The first thing he said was, "come on Carrie, lets's see what you got." LOL Be careful what you ask for.

Not too sure if I am ready to talk for real. Still in the dreaming stages right now.
I just read this and realized this was a very personal post. Kinda weird to put your thoughts and dreams right out there.

ANYWAY, thanks for your comment. please continue to comment/pray/plan/discourage/encourage... whatever you got. :) Love you sis!

PS if you still wanna be a beach bum or backpack it somewhere~ i will watch your kids for you for a few weeks. Maybe even a month!

Jodi said...

Personal or Not Thanks for posting. I have learned that as Members of the Church we are much more willing to take a leap if we are directed through inspiration. Your faith can get you through any journey or adventure, as you know. And your adventure could be one of the greatest blessings you and Tommy give you family. As you said LIFE Changing! You can do anything for a year! Really keep us posted.

p.s. a "real house" is over rated! We had one, then not, then yes, now not and we've been happy no matter what. Real house means REAL house work! And a house is not a HOME until you make it .... you live in a home now and could do that AnyWhere!
Love ya

HOKU WOLFGRAMM said...

Tommy told us about you both thinking about this. I thought it funny because I always knew I would take my family back there someday. I think everyone I know that has lived there feel the same way. I find it hard to believe that you could hate it there; however, I guess it's possible.

I decided to go to Tonga on a whim, and I was only 14. I didn't do much praying about it then but, I just knew I wanted to go really badly. I went a year after I'd planned. That's something else I got use to.. Things almost always didn't go as I'd planned. That was the greatest part about it. I went wanting to learn the language and know more of my heritage. I gained way more than that. I am so proud of my Tongan heritage that no gang or sufficient knowledge of the language can faulter my pride in that beautiful third world country.

I read your thoughts, and think, gosh just go already. haha. Of course, you already know to pray about it long and hard with your family. Just go prepared. I remember my mom taking me to get all my shots, sending me with a box full of hygiene products and medicine. I ended up being the neighborhood pharmicist because my midol and ibprofen worked wonders better than the crap they give in the hospital. I was also the only one on the island who had floss. Mind you, I was in Vava'u. My mom gave me advice like don't drink the water until you've boiled it. Don't come back married, and don't get a gold tooth. haha. The best thing she did for me was prepare me as best she knew how from her own experiences there. Feel comfort that you have Tommy who's been through it all. Trust him when he tells you what/what not to worry about.

Also, I've been thinking of it, and maybe you might.. I will only go if I am in the same preparedness as a missionary would be. Debt free, and in the right state of mind and spirit. So that means, I won't be going for a while because of all my debt. haha. BUT, I'm still going!!

I think it's a great idea, and support it all the way. Tonga is a beautiful place, and truly the friendly islands. Oh, and you think you're gonna have to work harder? No way. They'll treat you like a queen. It's cuz no matter what, we're still "palangi" to them. :) It took me a while but, you just have to get use to it. :) Plus, you'll come back looking like a stick, and I'm gonna hate you for it! lol

Anonymous said...

lol love it i really hope this all comes together!!!!.......

Anonymous said...

It's me AZ/Christie...

Wow, it's really too bad we weren't on the same time line..it would be so awesome to go with you guys!! We will definitely do it for 1-2 years, I've already promised my husband. I think it's the only way my kids can get any real association with being Tongan but it would be good for us to get back to the "basics" of life. And truthfully, it will probably be most challenging for me on so many levels I'm sure. Hona still asks about his boy cousins, we'll be sure to stop by on our way to my parents!

Ofas!

Hapa Mama said...

K ~ I really am loving all these comments. So much insight!!!!!!! I have read each comment about 40 times. Thanks to you all for your words of encouragements and opinions.
My thoughts have since been consumed with Christmas. I feel like a hypocrite to be wanting a more simple life but buying up all sorts of needless things.
Maybe when I sell it all for my big move I can make enough for an indoor bathroom. LOL